‘A different language is a different vision of life.’
At St Bartholomew’s Primary School, we believe that the learning of an additional language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for pupils. It helps the children to develop communication skills, extend their knowledge of how language works and gives them an additional perspective of the world.
Our aims are to:
- Build enthusiasm and confidence for each child in their learning and speaking of French.
- Develop the children’s awareness and understanding of another culture.
- Trigger in children a true interest for learning French.
- Broaden the children's horizon.
- Encourage positive attitude towards learning another language.
- Immerse the children in the French language and culture.
We will help children develop and demonstrate substantial progress in the 5 key language skills necessary for learning French.
French is the main Modern Foreign Language taught at St Bartholomew’s. The lessons are delivered by a native specialist teacher. YR, KS1 and lower KS2 get 30 minutes a week whilst upper KS2 get 60 minutes a week.
We use the national curriculum for Modern Foreign Languages as the basis for our curriculum planning. The lessons are designed to motivate, captivate and interest children from the first moment. Each lesson has a clear, achievable objective and incorporates a multi-sensory approach to learning. Learning is personalised to ensure all children make excellent progress.